FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Monday 24 November 2014

Finding Makeup Mecca: My First IMATS Experience!

Hi, everyone! If there's any solace in the fact that I have a hectic Monday ahead, it's that I can look back on this past weekend as one for the (makeup-related) record books. Not only did I meet Sam and Nic from Pixiwoo at a Real Techniques Event on Friday night, Saturday marked my very first attendance at IMATS, the International Makeup Artist Trade Show. 

IMATS is an annual event held in select international cities, with Toronto being a prime stop on the tour. I actually can't tell you why I haven't attended the show in the past, as makeup artistry has been passion of mine for years, but it seems like several factors intersected perfectly this year and I was finally able to make it! I was lucky enough to obtain a bad ass boss blogger press pass for the event, which allowed me to skip the massive line and attend for free. That really did feel like an achievement and made the day extra special! 


I arrived just after the show's opening at 8:30am and the crowds of voracious makeup fanatics were already pouring in. The massive, bustling room was equal parts thrilling and intimidating, but I came armed with a folded, yet geek-worthy map of the vendor layout, so I had a loose game plan from the get-go. 

My first stop was the Blur Makeup Room table, which was presenting a handful of amazing, hard-to-find makeup artist brands. It was Yaby that initially piqued my attention, as I'd heard great things about their tiny, yet potent eye shadows. 


You can see the Yaby shadows below- so many killer colours to choose from! I oped for the shades in the left-hand panel, which were their ultra-saturated Pearl Paint shadows. I snagged five of these bright little babies, as well as a handy little palette in which to house them.

You can see that I went on quite the swatching spree in order to arrive at my choices! 



Blur Makeup Room was also stocking a great selection of Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tars and pencils, but luckily I was able to resist. New lipsticks were not on the agenda! They were lovely to look through, though. 



My next stop was certainly my most luxe on the circuit. I'd heard nothing but phenomenal things about Hakuhodo makeup brushes, from makeup artists and beauty bloggers alike. They are otherwise impossible to get here in Toronto, so this was my chance! 

The extensive range was displayed proudly on seemingly vast shelves, which allowed you to hold and feel the brushes for yourselves. Let me tell you, they are the softest brushes you will ever stroke! 



I was thrilled to walk away with two smaller-sized face brushes that didn't set me back too much. Their largest powder brushes are upwards of $100, but luckily I was able to leave those soft, heavenly pieces of art tools on the shelves ;)


Next on the agenda was Face Atelier, which I'd also heard raves about on several occasions. They were offering the best deal of the show, in my opinion, allowing you to pick up one full-sized foundation plus one full-sized cheek product for $45, $2 less than the cost of the foundation itself. Yes, please! 



The makeup artists at the Face Atelier booth were extremely helpful and friendly, taking time to colour match me to their Ultra Foundation and demonstrate the beauty of their unique cream-to-powder Facade cheek and lip colours. I was totally impressed with both and snagged on of each for a steal!


While I stopped at numerous other booths, some too crowded to properly peruse, the final stop of consequence (read: where I bought something) was the Kryolan counter. Kryolan is another ultra popular makeup artist brand that I'd been wanting to check out for years. Was thrilled that they were at the show! 



Their booth boasted countless creams and pigments from flesh-tone to neon, as well as an impressive selection of versatile palettes. I was most drawn to their contour palette (half of which is displayed below, on the left), as well as to their 18-pan shadow palettes. I snagged one of the lovelies shown below; you can check out my upcoming haul post to find out which! 


Despite the focus up this post till now, IMATS certainly is not all about shopping; it also celebrates the art, design, and transformative power of makeup, which remains so inspiring and mesmerizing to me. There were some incredible body art and special effects makeup demonstrations going on throughout the hall, which were truly amazing to watch! 



And as with all of the makeup events I've attended of late, the experience was definitely augmented by the opportunity to spend time with like-minded beauty enthusiasts that I'm lucky enough to call friends. I bumped into at least ten other Toronto-based beauty bloggers at the show (many of whom I was able to enable shop with for a while), which made the event all the more fun and interactive! 

Here's a shot of me with Jenn- her blue lips were totally killer! 


Overall, my first IMATS experience was a raging success! While a lingering cold and related fuzziness dampened me slightly, I was still able to take in the lively atmosphere, hit up all the vendors on my list, discover some new, amazing products, and hang out with my best makeup buds. Couldn't have asked for much more! 


I will most definitely be attending the event again next year and am eager to make it an annual tradition. A yearly pilgrimage to my makeup mecca, if you will!

Have any of you ever attended an IMATS show? What are your must-have makeup artist brands or products?

Thanks for stopping by! 

25 comments:

  1. hahah. killer eh? yea, i'd think so :P
    i stole that photo of us for my post as well!


    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, killer! The photo turned out great :)

      Delete
  2. Great job pushing through the morning with a cold! As always, great to see you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steph- nice to see you too! There are few things that I'd persist at despite a cold, and IMATS was one of them :)

      Delete
  3. I've been dreaming of going to IMATS for years now! I'm so happy for you that you got to go and that you had such a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to IMATS (the one closest to me is in London), but I'd SO go for Hakuhodo!!! I'll probably blow an entire month's of rent on the brushes, but who cares? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehee, I agree! They're a great investment :)

      Delete
  5. Loved your coverage of IMATS - I got so overwhelmed that I hardly took any pics! I kept getting shoved by people trying to grab brushes at Morphe etc.. Hakuhodo is amazing - when i was in japan last year, i grabbed their christmas limited edition brush set - and they had PINK handles... so cute! i should totally do a post on my set plus the 3 i bought this weekend :) If i do, i'll def let you know! let's go to the next years one together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that Hakuhodo set sounds incredible! I'd love to see what you picked up and yeah, we'll have to touch base next year! :)

      Delete
  6. I wish I knew about this show!! Looks like you had a great time!
    www.effortlesslady.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post dear! So many makeup! :3

    Kenny,
    WHATKENNYHEARTS.com
    FOLLOW ME ON BLOGLOVIN
    LIKE WKH ON FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
  8. omgggg the hakuhodo brushes even LOOK soft in your photo. neeeeeeeeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great share dear.
    kisses

    www.kelpasdiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabbbbb!
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks amazing! I wish there was an IMATS near me!

    Xuvious

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too bad we didn't get to hang out more, but it was really great to see you :) Looking forward to your haul post soon :)

    Stephanie | theFantasia.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to see you too! Yeah, it was so crowded, not necessarily conducive to socializing! ;)

      Delete
  13. Wow this looks really fun!!!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. that sounds like so much fun. I would love to go one day. =) What a blast!
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those hakuhodo brushes look amazing! I'd love to go to IMATs one day, it looks like so much fun - especially all of the awesome special effects makeup they do!! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. This seems like so much fun! I'd love to go (:

    - Deniz
    www.dressedupdeniz.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like SO much fun, would love to go!!

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)