FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Top 10 Skin and Hair Care Finds of 2013

Happy New Year, everyone! Hope you all have a wonderful New Year's Eve and a fabulous start to 2014! For my final post of 2013, I'll be sharing with you my Top 10 skin and hair care goodies of the year. The potions and elixirs that have left my tresses and complexion looking their best! (To see my Top 10 Makeup Picks from the year, click here!)

Here's a shot of my picks:


Batiste Instant Hair Refresh Dry Shampoo
This has truly been a saviour for my hair this year! I have "combination" hair, in that it is quite dry at the ends but gets oily at the roots. I hate to over-wash it because of the dry tendencies, so Batiste has been the perfect fix for my shampoo-free days. Instantly absorbs oil and gives body, with a range of light, pleasant scents. Yes, it can leave white residue, but nothing a bit of a brush-through can't fix! Super affordable too. I can't see myself ever being without this. To read more about it, see here!

Lush Sea Spray Hair Mist
This was another absolute treasure I discovered this year! This worked wonders to add texture, wave, and body to my hair while leaving a lovely scent. I wore it on a near-daily basis all summer and it lasted quite well- a little really goes a long way! The scent is quite potent, so you may not like it if the perfume isn't up your alley. Unfortunately, I had to shelf this when I started my new job in September, as there's a pretty strict scent-free policy. I've been mourning the loss of this, but promise to re-purchase in the future! To see a full review, click here.

Oribe Surfcomber Tousled Texture Mousse
It's a bit crazy that I haven't gushed about this one on the blog yet. It's totally fab! After getting my hair cut in August, I embarked on a quest to find products that would give my shorter locks extra body, wave, and shine. Surfcomber is the first mousse I've ever tried and it does an incredible job at accentuating my natural wave, adding texture, and plumping up my hair. Gives me the perfect beachy, undone-but-polished look. Plus the scent is divine! Expensive, yes- but worth it!

Lush Popcorn Lip Scrub
So this might be a bit of a cheat, as I got this little treat for Christmas last year. It's been a staple for me during 2013, though, so it made it here! I've been a devoted Lushie for over a decade and the Popcorn Lip Scrub instantly became an all-time fave. It has a scrumptious sweet and salty fragrance (and taste!) and does an incredible job at smoothing chapped lips. Plus, it leaves my pout lightly moisturized, which is a bonus! Will definitely be re-purchasing this one soon! To see my full review, click here!

Real Techniques Brushes
Ok, this one is another cheat, not only because these aren't technically skin or hair care, but also because I'm clumping several incredible brushes into one pick. Oh well! 2013 saw the arrival of Real Techniques brushes here in Toronto and I think I literally jumped for joy when I saw them in-store. These are truly the ultimate hybrid of quality and value and provide a flawless result every time. I use them every single day! I've amassed a nice collection of these brushes over the year, and my absolute favourites are the Buffing Brush, the Blush Brush, the Contour Brush and the Expert Face Brush. You must try these- you won't be disappointed! To see my full review of the Real Techniques Core Collection, click here !



Antipodes Divine Face Oil
I'm going out on a limb, but this may be my top skin care pick of the year! I'd been on the hunt for a facial oil that didn't break me out or leave me greasy, and I was getting a bit disillusioned until I snagged Antipodes Divine Face Oil in my Feel Unique Haul in September. This oil sinks into skin like a dream with no greasy residue and wears beautifully underneath my foundation. It hasn't irritated my temperamental skin and it hydrates and brightens wonderfully. Plus, it smells heavenly! I will never be without this one. To read a full review, click here!

Laura Mercier Oil Free Foundation Primer
Foundation primer is step that I've been super lazy with over the years, slightly skeptical that they make a difference. Plus, the traditional silicone-laden formulas tend to break me out. My biases were vanquished when I opted for Laura Mercier's Oil-Free Primer, which became an instant staple. It has a lovely fresh, watery texture and provides a lightweight canvas for my foundation. It really extends the wear of my base and has never irritated my skin. It's a true winner! To see it among my other everyday face products, click here!

Dermalogica Gentle Cream Exfoliant
This is another goody I haven't talked about on the blog as yet, but it deserves some high praise! Lisa Eldridge turned me onto this one and I'm so glad I heeded her sage advice. My skin is very sensitive to manual exfoliants, so chemical formulas are a must. This is a clay-based formula with lactic acid, so it simultaneously deep cleanses and sloughs away dead skin. This has never irritated my sensitive face and it leaves my complexion smooth and bright everytime. Subtle, but effective!

Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II
This was undoubtedly one of the most hyped-about new skin care products of the year, so I was excited to bring it home earlier this month. I'd been looking out for a multitasking nighttime serum and this one fits the bill perfectly! Advanced Night Repair sinks into skin with no oily residue and brightens instantly. It leaves my complexion looking even and clear and has never broken me out. I can see noticeable improvements in my skin after only a few weeks' use, so can't wait to see what the next few months will bring!

Mario Badescu Seaweed Cleansing Lotion
Toners often get lost in the shuffle, but I wanted to make a point to give this one a shout-out. I've been using Mario Badescu products on and off for years, but this year I gave the Seaweed Cleansing Lotion a go for the first time. Alcohol-laden toners totally disagree with my skin, so I'm always on the hunt for an effective and gentle toner that will leave my skin clean and soothed. This one covers all the bases! This formula features witch hazel, which cleanses my pores perfectly, as well as aloe to soothe. It primes my skin perfectly for serum and has a nice herbal scent. Have already re-purchased another bottle! To see it featured in a recent Empties post, click here.





Again, it was super difficult to narrow down my choices, but I'm happy with the final edit! Here's a jumbo-sized shot of the whole lot:




Phew! Another long post! I hope you've found it fun to take a look through my top picks of the year! Have you tried any of the goodies I featured here? Have I tempted you with anything?

Just wanted to extend another huge thanks for all of your readership throughout the year. Means so much! Can't wait to see what 2014 brings!

My boyfriend and I are headed to New York City tomorrow (yayayay!), but you'll be getting another re-cap post while I'm away and definitely some NYC updates when I return.

Happy New Year! xo

27 comments:

  1. I just recently bought the Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation and I bet this primer would be the perfect match with it! I've heard great things about the Lush lip scrubs as well!

    katiechamel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely check out both the primer and the lip scrubs. Both are totally fab! xo

      Delete
  2. I love the lip scrubs and the RT blush brush! Have a great time in New York!
    xxx Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year dear! Wishing you all best this year and more blessings and opportunities to come! :))

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    http://michaelmacalos.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Michael! All the best to you as well :)

      Delete
  4. That lush salt spray looks great- fantastic picks! X

    www.lovevintageonline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Sea Spray really is fantastic :)

      Delete
  5. a wise selection!
    Happy New Year~!

    X
    http://radarmagazine.se/fashionandfcuker

    ReplyDelete
  6. great selection!
    wish you a wonferful new year! <3

    http://www.getcarriedaway.net/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a nice picks :) Happy new year doll !! Would you like to follow each other on GFC and on Bloglovin :) xx
    www.ambifashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome favourites- classics and staples amongst the bunch! Particularly the RT brushes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rebecca! It was difficult narrowing it down, but happy with my picks :)

      Delete
  9. I'm not sure I ever told you, but I got Lush Sea Spray after reading your rec. I was when I tried to keep my hair wavy, just some months before I dediced to go back to straight. Loved Reading your post. Happy new year!!!

    http://jaguayanflawer.blogspot.mx/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm so happy I inspired you and that you enjoyed it! Happy New Year :)

      Delete
  10. love the picks, will be trying them soon

    x
    Saba
    http://itsmysash.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year doll!
    Join my giveaway:
    www.supongoestilo.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVELY post:) and I wish you a Happy year 2014 dear.

    Check out my new post...a DIVINE red wine sauce :)

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - Swedish decor, food, and fashion

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)