FREE Super Fruits Eye Balm with $130 or more purchase

Monday 2 December 2013

Look of the Day: New to Naked #4

Hi, everyone! Time for the next installment of my "New to Naked" series, where I get to show off the results of experimenting with my brand new Urban Decay Naked Palette! To see my previous three looks with the palette, click here, here, and here!

This palette is truly a gem, and I'm so happy to finally have it in my collection. Today's look is the most dramatic so far- I decided to get a little smoky!


This time around, I opted for the deeper shades in the palette, adding a bit of smoke and glitter. I paired the eye shadow look with some extra black liner (Urban Decay's own 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero) and lots of lashes (courtesy of the incredible BeneFit They're Real! Mascara).


For the rest of the face, I opted for neutral pinky beige cheeks (Urban Decay Powder Blush in Overexposed) and cool, shiny pink lips (Urban Decay Super Saturated High Gloss Lip Colour in Lovechild). Both the blush and lip colour are from the brand new Urban Decay Shattered Face Case, which is another fantastic kit from the brand. A full post on that one soon! While it can be typical to pair a smoky eye with pale, nude lips, I always prefer to keep a subtle pop of colour on the lips when my eyes are more dramatic. For my skin tone at least, this keeps that unwanted corpse-like effect at bay!


To create the eye look, I started with Naked (a matte light-to-mid-tone brown) all over the lid and blended up into the crease to create a base for the rest of the shades. I next applied Gunmetal (a deep, shimmery slate shade), smudged into the lash line and blended up to just below the crease. Then I applied Sidecar (the palette's only glittery shade, a warm silvery bronze) in the crease blending it with Gunmetal and smudging it up to the brow bone). Next I applied Virgin (a pale shimmery ivory) on the brow bone and inner corners of the eye, and used Creep (a shimmery true black) as a smudged liner on my upper and lower lash lines. I finished the shadow look by applying a bit of Gunmetal underneath the outer corner of the lower lash line, blending it in with Creep.

Here's the end result!



Here's a shot showing all of the shades I used for this look: 

Shades used in this look: Virgin, Naked, Sidecar, Creep, and Gunmetal

Here's a full breakdown of everything I used:

Foundation: Revlon ColourStay Foundation (Combination/Oily formula) in Buff mixed with Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector BB Cream (Combination to Oily Skin formula) in Light/Medium
Concealer: Hard Candy Glamoflauge in Light
Powder: Revlon ColourStay Pressed Powder in Light

Bronzer: Bourjois Delice de Poudre #51
Blush: Urban Decay Powder Blush in Overexposed

Brows: Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Ash Blonde
Primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original
Eye Shadows: Urban Decay Naked (all over the lid and blended up into the crease), Gunmetal (smudged into lash line and up to just below the crease, also underneath the outer corner of the lower lash line), Sidecar (in crease, blended up to the brow bone), Virgin (on brown bone and inner corners), and Creep (smudged on upper and lower lash lines)

Eyeliner: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Zero (smudged on upper lash line and on lower waterline)
Mascara: BeneFit They're Real! in Black

Lips: Urban Decay Super-Saturated High Gloss Lip Colour in Lovechild



And a few more shots of the look:








And that's it! I really had a lot of fun with this look- I don't wear a smokey eye nearly often enough! It was great to play with the darker and more glittery shades in the palette- while they look more intimidating in the pan, they really blended like a dream. And though there was some glitter fallout from Sidecar, I really found it to be minimal. It may not be a shade to wear to the office, but for an evening out, it really is a lovely glittery option! While I didn't wear this look for a night out, I did feel rather glam during brunch and some post Black Friday shopping yesterday :)

Do you like to use the Naked Palette to create a smoky eye? What are some of your favourite shade combinations?

Thanks for reading! :)

42 comments:

  1. Love the smokey look, and your lashes look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ingrid! I don't wear a smokey look often enough, so this was fun :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Jen, you look amazing, as always :)!

    xx
    http://gita-oddsandends.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous as always, eyes look so sexy and sultry. This blush looks amazing on you too! So flattering:) If I were you I would were this colour forever and ever non stop :D

    http://lazybluesundays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Eve! The blush is from the new Urban Decay Shattered Face Case and I've been loving it! xo

      Delete
  4. So, I had said that your Naked #3 look was my favorite… but now I'm going to change my mind! I love this combo of warm and cool shades. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was trying to incorporate the shades from the palette I hadn't used yet, which meant a mix of cool and warm tones. Think it worked pretty well :)

      Delete
  5. You look like a superstar in that makeup dear! So pretty and gorgeous! Great Job! ♥

    Hope you check out my blog too sweety :)
    http://michaelmacalos.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this look out of all of them the most! It makes your eyes so huge, that 7th photo's gorgeous!! I say go smokey eye!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Peet! I don't wear a smokey eye nearly often enough :)

      Delete
  7. Looking at all of your posts is definitely giving me some inspiration for using MY new Naked palettes! I overindulged in makeup while in New York, and these posts will justify my purchases! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, thanks! Glad I've inspired you to play around with the palettes :)

      Delete
  8. Beautiful make-up! xx

    http://www.sweetcandydreamer.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks amazing jen!

    xx,
    littledreamersavenue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Stacey! The lip colour is from the new Urban Decay Shattered Face Case- it's great! :)

      Delete
  11. Love the eyeshadow! You look so pretty! Love your blog,would you like to follow each other?

    xx
    www.starringsamantha.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks so much, Samantha! Will stop by your blog soon :)

      Delete
  12. i /just/ got mine in the mail!!! aaahhh!!!!!! that is all.


    Jenn
    A Beautiful Zen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayay! Don't know if it's a good thing that I feel semi-responsible (guess it depends whether we're asking your wallet), but exciting!

      Delete
  13. This might me my favorite look from you so far! The eyeshadow is fantastic, and I am totally digging that blush as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! The blush is one of my new faves for sure :)

      Delete
  14. Oh it's lovely! Did you know there is now a naked 3 palette? It's full of pink undertones and looks great.

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Corinne! The Naked3 Palette is on my wishlist for sure :)

      Delete
  15. This is SO pretty! I'd love to see you work with Half Baked :)
    Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ladies! Half Baked is such a fab shadow :)

      Delete
  16. I love it! You look gorgeous. The Naked palette is one of my fave's :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasja! I'm so glad I finally picked it up! :)

      Delete
  17. I like it! I adore your makeup! Love the lipstick too! Thanks for sharing!
    Would you like to follow each other on gfc? Let me know! :)
    xoxo
    http://www.elationofcreation.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Will stop by your blog soon :)

      Delete
  18. That's really pretty. The Naked Palette is my favorite palette ever, ever and ever lol!

    ReplyDelete

All of your lovely comments make my day! Thanks for taking the time to share your musings, ideas, and opinions. Feel free to leave a link to your blog- I'd be happy to check it out :)